The Role of House Rules in Parenting
Our family agreed to have a set of house rules to follow. House helpers are included as well to abide in these policies. My husband and I strictly implemented these regulations primarily for the sake of our kids. Rules at home is a preparation for rules in society. The principle of proper behavior, organization, responsibility and self-discipline should be first taught and learned at home. The time when our kids are ready to go to school, their first step in facing the outside world, they will be ready to comply and conform with the standards.
The following are our House Rules:
- Respect each others privacy. Don’t just get things which are not yours. Ask for permission if you want to borrow personal things of other members of the family. For instance: cellphones and other gadgets and things.
- Return the things properly where you get it.
- Maintain the cleanliness, order and care of your respective and utility areas. Organize your things and area everyday.
- Tidy up your toys after playing with it. Clean up your mess!
- Limit the Usage of Computers and other gaming gadgets like PSP, Nintendo DS, Play Station etc and Television during school days. They are allowed to watch TV or play with their gaming gadgets after they studied their lessons and only on a limited time on weekdays. Weekends and holidays are their best time to play or watch longer with it.
- Show concern in economizing electricity and water usage. Yet, do not just show, act on it.
- Observe time. If you cannot get home by the time you were expected to be in the house, call and inform us why and your whereabouts.
- Sleep over in other’s house is a big NO-NO, because we do it the other way. They can let their groupmates or friends sleep over in our home if there’s a need to finish a project asap. The reason why we allow it, is for us to make sure that our kids are safe and at the same time we can meet and be acquainted with their peers and friends.
- Make sure you do your duties at home. We assign duties for them to learn how to do some house chores. We ask for our kids help in doing some house chores during weekends and vacation. We cannot always rely on our house helpers to do everything for us.
- Liars has no space in our home. You’ve got nothing to lose if you tell the truth. Honesty is the best policy. I have no problems with my kids regarding this rule. The problem usually arises with house helps.
- Freedom of expression is very much allowed. Lines of communication are always kept open. If we parents are too quick to be harsh or judgmental, kids are apt to simply shut themselves off and keep quiet about their lives. No matter how busy we are, we always find time to listen and attend to our children’s needs. We talk about anything and everything that concerns them. The reason why they do not hide things from us. They can lean on us anytime.
- Violation: Teaching through Rewards and Consequences so we can guide our kids toward preferred actions by paying attention and complimenting their good choices.
Rules are not meant to limit children’s creativity or force them into some type of rigid mold, but instead are put in place to keep them safe and to guide them toward responsible behaviors as they Grow Up.