Age is not a requirement to gain respect from others as there are a lot of young people who are being highly respected by their elders. If you want others to treat you with high esteem you need to be worthy of it. Respect is something money cannot buy; moreover, it cannot be gained through an overnight process. Earn the respect of others regardless of your status, whether you are a student, a new employee, or a striving entrepreneur through the following ways:
- If you want people to appreciate and have a high regard on what you do, you have to look up to them too. Respect is a two-way course of action.
- Do your best at what you do. Proficient and competent people are most highly regarded in every field of work. Remember, if you are happy with what you are doing, it will bring out the best in you.
- Palabra de honor or word of honor. A well respected person is someone who honors what he says. Truthfulness and reliability to live up with commitments and can be trusted to deliver what he or she promised will automatically earn a high respect and admiration from other people. Honesty and sincerity in my opinion is the primary step to being our real self.
- Listen and learn, be open to criticisms. It is just normal to make mistakes and receive criticisms. Learn to handle them the positive way. You don’t need to badmouth about your critics, instead accept your fault or mistakes, do the necessary adjustments then continue your good work and let your actions speak for themselves. Your superiors will surely take notice and recognize your effort.
- Act and conduct yourself professionally. Dress to impress, wear proper clothing that will suit each occasion. Observe good manners and social etiquette. Use appropriate language in communication.
- Be honest, stand up for what you believe in and be transparent in your communications. It is okay to say “No” and state your own opinion why you disagree in a respectful manner rather than just say yes to everything to get along with the flow.
To summarize, by learning how to give respect, act and carry out yourself with confidence, proper conduct and attitude towards others and by delivering your actions and performance in a reliable way, you’ll start earning the respect you deserve in no time.
Image credit: By rrafson (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons