Mother and child bonding usually starts during pregnancy but the unique bonding experience between the mother and child created by breastfeeding is beyond compare. Some young and first time mothers were misled thinking that infant formula does very well as a substitute for breast milk, maybe because of lack of awareness or due to the abundance of different feeding formula available in the market. The fact remains that the human milk is unique as it protects the health of the child by providing a special nutrition.
Breastfeeding should begin as soon as possible after giving birth in order for the infant to nourish the thick yellow liquid called colostrum, the first breast milk which is very rich in antibodies and nutrients. In order for your baby to get the colostrum he needs, he must be fed every 1-3 hours or 8-12 times within 24 hours after birth as his tiny stomach can only hold a small amount of milk. Babies must be breastfed on his first 6 months to continue until 12 months.
Breastfeeding is not only for the child’s advantage but for the mother as well. Here are the benefits that the mother and child can benefit from breastfeeding:
Baby’s benefit in breast feeding:
- Breast milk protects babies from infection and illness.
- It lowers the risk of:
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Type 1 diabetes
childhood leukemia and childhood cancers
allergies and atopic dermatitis
infections such as respiratory tract and urinary tract infections
- It is the perfect food for baby’s healthy growth and development.
- It builds a strong immune system
- It is easily digested, the baby is less likely to get diarrhea nor constipated
- Breast milk is environmentally friendly, there is no need to worry about its freshness and has no waste product.
Mother’s benefits from breastfeeding:
- Smart savings. You do not have to buy, measure and mix formula, therefore no bottles and nipples to wash and sterilize
- You can satisfy your baby’s hunger right away anytime and anywhere.
- Breastfeeding can lower the risk of health problems in women such as Postpartum depression,
- Type 2 diabetes, Breast cancer and Ovarian cancer
- It can help women to lose weight after baby’s birth
- It assists the uterus return to its pre-pregnant state faster
- Breastfeeding mothers miss fewer days from their job because their infants sick less often.
Photo credits: Jomphong - FreeDigitalPhotos.Net