The most private part of the house is the bedroom. It is also the quietest room where one can enjoy serenity and calm atmosphere. Just like any part of my house, I like it also clean and tidy. I call it my chamber .
I usually do a general cleaning on a weekly basis, cleaning the electric fans, cleaning the air-conditioning unit’s filter and changing of bed sheets or bed covers, pillow cases and comforters. It is best recommended to change bed sheets, comforters and pillow cases every 7 days, however during rainy season; I sometimes do it every two weeks. There is a very real psychology to gaining organizational skills that one gets as they earn their life experience degree.
Here is the procedure on how I do general cleaning on our bedrooms:
- Before I take out the bed covers, I remove first the cobwebs on the ceilings using a long broomstick. Usually it will take a month or more before I could see webs again.
- Take out the bed sheets and pillow cases. After taking out the bed covers, I vacuum the whole mattress tossing around to eliminate the bed mites or commonly known as dust mites. This invisible insect cause allergies and sucks our blood while we are sleeping. After vacuuming I spray a cleaning solution. Our Allergologist taught me how to create a cleaning solution (one part water to five parts white vinegar into a spray bottle). I spray it thoroughly and just allow the mattress to air dry. I spray on the pillows too. But before I spray the solution I sweep the floor first and then I open the bedroom doors to allow natural air to come in. Don’t worry as the solution dries, your bed will not smell of vinegar. The solution will kill thousands of dust mites as tested and proven.
- While waiting for the mattresses to dry, I wipe the walls with water containing a little disinfectant solution. I use Lysol or Domex.
- After the walls, I dust the bedroom furnitures and cabinets using a damp microfiber cloth. I do not hang curtains inside the bedroom to prevent the allergens to accumulate into it.
- Electric fans and the air-conditioning filter come next. Air-conditioning filters should be washed with soap and water then dry it, wiping away the dirt on the air condition unit before I put it back. I also make sure that our air-conditioning unit is well maintained by having it serviced and cleaned twice a year.
- After dusting the furnitures and cabinets I mop the floor twice, in order for me not to get a broken bone, I do not toss the bed frame, I just use the mop to reach the farthest part under it.
- Because my family is asthmatic, we use hypoallergenic washable pillows and bed linen that I put on the mattress before the bed cover.
Lastly, I put on fresh and crisp bedcovers and pillow cases. Comforters are very heavy when wet, so as the linens and bedcovers, so I just avail the laundry service for it.
Job done! What about a glass of ice cold tea or water to refresh.