Disagreements, misunderstandings, and opposition arise in every marriage or should I say at least in most marriages.
Here are some tips on how to lessen such conflicts:
- Work toward prompt resolution and do not let the conflict linger. As much as possible do not sleep at night without resolving your issues.
- Avoid harsh words that may irritate or hurt your partner’s feeling. It will surely aggravate the situation.
- Let bygones be bygones. A fight over the past should not be brought out in each conflict. Forget it.
- Make sure to pick a private place and optimal time for communicating. As much as possible don’t argue in front of the kids.
- Learn to apologize if you are at fault. Stop making excuses.
- Learn to respect each other’s feelings, and opinions.
- Always show kindness and concern.
- Build a mutual understanding. Chauvinism is not a good thing in a relationship.
- Be honest.
- Become an effective listener. Lend your ear when your partner is talking, let him finish first before you say your own piece.
- Be willing to forgive and accept each others weaknesses.
- If you think the marriage doesn’t work anymore, then it is the time to seek for marriage counseling.
People change, it is but normal for us to be grouchy at times, too irritable or too distracted to give him/her the attention he/she deserves. Married life is not always a bed of roses. Sometimes even a single word triggers a fight. Life may not be always perfect, but the love for each other will always give us the hope that the happy days will outnumber the sad ones, as long as couples spend them together J